Pull out all the pumpkin and apple spice recipes. And your Halloween Pinterest ideas, y’all. Chunky sweaters and boots are almost here. And with all of that excitement headed our way (fall is my favorite season), I still had some dang summery salad ingredients to use up. So I quickly whipped up what will probably be my last cold salad of the year. And it was really delicious.
I adapted the recipe from the lovely Ambitious Kitchen. My changes are noted so you can make it my way or her way. Either is delicious, I’m sure! It’s gluten free too, if you’re into that sort of thing.
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa (I used red quinoa)
- 1-2 cups shredded red cabbage, depending on how much crunch you like
1 red bell pepper, diced ½1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup diced green onions
- ½ cup cashew halves
or peanuts (honey-roasted is good)
- Optional: 1 cup edamame
- Fresh lime, for a bit of tang
- For the dressing:
- ¼ cup all natural peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce, gluten-free if desired
- 1 tablespoon
honey (use agave if vegan)agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Water to thin, if necessary
- To cook quinoa: Rinse quinoa with cold water. In a medium saucepan, bring 1 ½ cups of water to a boil. Add in quinoa and bring mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa has absorbed all of the water. Remove from heat and fluff quinoa with fork; place in large bowl and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- To make dressing: Add peanut butter and honey or agave to a medium microwave safe bowl; heat in microwave for 20 seconds. Add in ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, and both sesame and olive oil and stir until mixture is smooth and creamy. If you want a thinner dressing, simply stir in a teaspoon or two of water or olive oil.
- Next fold in onion, cabbage, carrots, and cilantro into the quinoa. Garnish with cashews and green onions. Serve chilled or at room temperature with lime wedges if desired.
That’s it, folks! Last summer salad. Do it before it get’s too chilly!
Oh and since we’re talking quinoa, I have to share this commercial that my friend Britt shared on Facebook. It’s a good one.
Hope everyone has a nice, safe weekend!